Coaches are important educational leaders in our schools, communities, and universities. The Sport and the Growing Good (SGG) podcast provides embedded, front-line insights on winning and positive development. The SGG podcast can be heard here and on all major podcast platforms.
Kelly Sheffield is the head coach of the University of Wisconsin's volleyball team. Fresh off a run to the national championship game, Coach Sheffield discussed:
1. His initial team goals during his first season at Wisconsin in 2013;
2. Why he chose to hold a critical team meeting in the top corner of the field house;
3. His purposeful design of the team’s locker room;
4. The messages that are conveyed by different spaces where the team gathers;
5. The film room’s “classroom” feel;
6. Player seating in the film room;
7. His “goulash” style of learning from other coaches;
8. Being unafraid to ask questions;
9. How to make large amounts of information simple and useable for the team;
10. How he utilizes the days and weeks immediately following the season; and
11. Preparing for top rivals’ specific strengths and strategies.