SGG episode #21: Notre Dame women’s basketball coach Muffet McGraw asks questions
Coaches are important educational leaders in our schools, communities, and universities. The Sport and the Growing Good (SGG) podcast provides embedded, front-line insights on winning and positive development. The SGG podcast can be heard here and on all major podcast platforms.
Muffet McGraw is the head coach of the Notre Dame women’s basketball team. Her teams have won two national championships and competed in nine final fours. Coach McGraw was inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame and is widely recognized as one of the all-time great college basketball coaches. In this episode of SGG, we discussed:
1. Going into a bubble on gamedays.
2. Being grateful and supporting others during difficult times.
3. Learning from former St. Joseph’s Coach Jim Foster.
4. Coach Pat Summit as a gracious leader in the game of basketball.
5. The impact of social media on her relationships with players.
6. Various strategies she’s used to get to know her players.
7. Why she loved Niele Ivey the first time she saw her play.
8. Talking with players about “the three things you need to do” this season.
9. Asking questions to the team instead of always telling them what to do.
10. Giving players a voice in game preparation.
11. Watching other coaches’ practices and having conversations about making the right systems work.
12. Why she watches football practice… and how she collaborates with other coaches on her campus.
13. Learning about leadership from ROTC.
14. Areas where she is still trying to develop.
15. How she monitored her “tone” with her players.