SGG episode #10: Wisconsin lightweight rowing coach Dusty Mattison on steadiness, organization…
Coaches are important educational leaders in our schools, communities, and universities. The Sport and the Growing Good (SGG) podcast provides embedded, front-line insights on winning and positive development. The SGG podcast can be heard here and on all major podcast platforms.
Coach Dusty Mattison is the highly-regarded head coach of the University of Wisconsin’s Lightweight Rowing program. We met at the Porter Boathouse, where she described
1. Lessons she learned from her background in swimming;
2. Teaching “the basics;”
3. The importance of everyday steadiness;
4. Some of her key organizational strategies;
5. Her “practice binder” – and the down-to-the-minute practice plans that she develops;
6. Why she utilizes email instead of apps for team communication;
7. Her use of a “daily focus” for each practice session;
8. Why she pumps music during early morning practice sessions;
9. How organization at home affects her coaching;
10. Developing a balance between coaching and family life;
11. Finding the balance between technology and old-school work in training;
12. Encouraging athletes to develop life skills;
13. Weekly check-ins with individual athletes.