Coaches are important educational leaders in our schools, communities, and universities. The Sport and the Growing Good (SGG) podcast provides embedded, front-line insights on winning and positive development. The SGG podcast can be heard here and on all major podcast platforms.
Coach Dusty Mattison is the highly-regarded head coach of the University of Wisconsin’s Lightweight Rowing program. We met at the Porter Boathouse, where she described
1. Lessons she learned from her background in swimming;
2. Teaching “the basics;”
3. The importance of everyday steadiness;
4. Some of her key organizational strategies;
5. Her “practice binder” – and the down-to-the-minute practice plans that she develops;
6. Why she utilizes email instead of apps for team communication;
7. Her use of a “daily focus” for each practice session;
8. Why she pumps music during early morning practice sessions;
9. How organization at home affects her coaching;
10. Developing a balance between coaching and family life;
11. Finding the balance between technology and old-school work in training;
12. Encouraging athletes to develop life skills;
13. Weekly check-ins with individual athletes.