Coaches are important educational leaders in our schools, communities, and universities. The Sport and the Growing Good (SGG) podcast provides embedded, front-line insights on winning and positive development. The SGG podcast can be heard here and on all major podcast platforms.
Wquinton (“Q”) Smith, is now working on his PhD in the top public education school in the country. Previously, he was a point guard for the Wisconsin Badgers basketball team. In this episode, Pete and Q are joined by friends Jamaal and Wes in reflecting on their foundations in youth sport, including Q’s early days in Milwaukee’s Police Athletic League. Sitting in the bleachers at a girls basketball tournament, they discuss:
1. Q’s first team experiences in Milwaukee’s Neighborhood Children’s Sports League, Rufus King High School, and AAU.
2. The positive impacts of Q’s father as a coach in Milwaukee’s Police Athletic League.
3. Pete shares Professor Bell’s research with Q, Jamaal, and Wes. What are their reactions?
4. Q and Jamaal share their perceptions of the budding “personal coaching” industry;
5. Q’s UW Badger squat record (475 lbs!);
6. The importance of providing children with rides;
7. The value of sport in bringing diverse groups of people together;
8. How the youth sports environment can offer kids good places to learn how to mess up…and to keep going.