Coaches are important educational leaders in our schools, communities, and universities. The Sport and the Growing Good (SGG) podcast provides embedded, front-line insights on winning and positive development. The SGG podcast can be heard here and on all major podcast platforms.
In episode #1, Chris Clark, the head coach of the men's rowing team at the University of Wisconsin, reflecting on his years as leader and competitor across the world. We discussed:
1. Dwelling on failures (7:04).
2. Eliminating impediments (11:50)
3. The myth of Sysiphus and the momentum of a team (12:20)
4. Multi-sport athletes who "know they know nothing" (16:00)
5. The value of athletes with "the right attitude" (19:55)
6. Finding his first rowing mentors at Orange Coast College, the national team, and beyond (25:00)
7. Reassessing coaches years after being on their teams (27:45)
8. Oxford Coach Mike Spracklen's patience with young "Heater" Clark... and the lessons Heater learned (28:20)
9. Coaching at Navy...while delivering pizzas (33:50)
10. His perspective that "nobody is above or below anything" (34:30)