SGG episode #1: Wisconsin men's rowing coach Chris Clark is always pushing the rock uphill
Coaches are important educational leaders in our schools, communities, and universities. The Sport and the Growing Good (SGG) podcast provides embedded, front-line insights on winning and positive development. The SGG podcast can be heard here and on all major podcast platforms.
In episode #1, Chris Clark, the head coach of the men's rowing team at the University of Wisconsin, reflecting on his years as leader and competitor across the world. We discussed:
1. Dwelling on failures (7:04).
2. Eliminating impediments (11:50)
3. The myth of Sysiphus and the momentum of a team (12:20)
4. Multi-sport athletes who "know they know nothing" (16:00)
5. The value of athletes with "the right attitude" (19:55)
6. Finding his first rowing mentors at Orange Coast College, the national team, and beyond (25:00)
7. Reassessing coaches years after being on their teams (27:45)
8. Oxford Coach Mike Spracklen's patience with young "Heater" Clark... and the lessons Heater learned (28:20)
9. Coaching at Navy...while delivering pizzas (33:50)
10. His perspective that "nobody is above or below anything" (34:30)